Oral cancer is one of the most easily treatable forms of cancer when diagnosed early, but like all forms of cancer, it can be life-threatening if undiagnosed and untreated. RM Advanced Center for Cosmetic Dentistry uses state-of-the-art screening technology to perform oral cancer screenings and detect this disease in the earliest stage of development.
Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, throat, sinuses, and hard and soft palate. While oral cancer can almost always be successfully treated when detected early enough, many cases of oral cancer are not diagnosed until they have entered a more advanced stage and are more difficult to treat. For this reason, Dr. Roberto Macedo provides oral cancer screenings as part of your regular dental exams. We are committed to doing everything we can to diagnose and treat oral cancer as quickly as possible. We recommend that you receive an oral cancer screening at least once each year.
While our team will check for signs of oral cancer during your appointment, we also encourage you to stay aware of the condition of your mouth and watch for any changes. Some common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- A persistent sore throat
- The feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Persistent or lingering sores on the face, neck or mouth — these sores may also bleed easily and resist healing
- Ear pain
- Unexplained pain, numbness or loss of feeling in the face, neck or mouth
- Difficulty in chewing, speaking or swallowing
- Changes in the fit of your dentures or your bite
- Lumps, bumps or rough spots in the mouth
- Red, white, or speckled red and white patches in the mouth
We encourage you to contact us at 727-202-4459 and schedule an appointment with our dentist if you notice these or any other unusual changes in your mouth. If you have any questions about oral cancer screening in St. Petersburg, Florida, please feel free to call our office and speak with a member of our team.